Makes 6 Bars
For the caramel..
8 medjool dates deseeded
1/4 cup almond milk
1 tbsp cashew butter or peanut butter
3/4 cup raw cashew nuts or salted peanuts (soak cashews overnight, rinse, dry and chop in half if needed)
1/2 cup cashew butter or peanut butter
3 tbsp coconut flour
4 tbsp maple syrup
150g dark chocolate (milk chocolate for non-vegan)
- To make the caramel, combine the medjool dates, almond milk and nut butter in the blender until smooth.
- Next, add the nuts to the caramel and mix together with a spoon.
- To make the nougat, combine the coconut flour, maple syrup and the remaining cashew butter in a small bowl until the mixture reaches an even consistency.
- Line a small-to-medium sized tin or take away container with parchment paper and add the caramel mix, level the caramel with the back of a metal spoon until smooth.
- Next, transfer the nougat mixture on top of the caramel and level again until smooth all over.
- Place in freezer for two hours.
- Take out the from the freezer and remove filling by pulling the parchment paper.
- Slice the filling evenly into 6 bars.
- Add a little water to a pan over a low to medium heat and melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
- Once chocolate has melted, use metal fork and spoon to coat bars.
- Leave to cool on a cooling rack until the chocolate is firm before eating.